We are looking for an experienced visual designer to help establish the visual design practice within our team. Our UX team sits within a Product Management organization, rather than Marketing/Communications, so we’re looking for people who are excited to create products that can improve peoples’ lives (at work) and achieve clear business objectives. Our users have complex, fast-paced, informationally overloaded jobs (within an already complex industry) and so their tools must provide benefits without adding to that complexity. As a UX team, we have to ‘go deep’ into the problem-space drawing from the various techniques designers have for finding insights that others can’t. And, as with any successful product or service, our designs aim to solve users’ problems but also guide the products’ evolution into a powerful and extensible framework. Ideal candidates will be part inventor, part craftsman but most of all, makers.
Operating similar to an internal agency, we’ll take on a good variety of projects where each is considered business-critical and design is a necessary part of the solution. In the New Product Development group, our role is to drive an agenda of innovation by helping to identify and evolve the best ideas and partnering up with our skilled team of data scientists, engineers, and business owners to figure out the best path to success.
Our Visual Designers are co-owners of the design and the identity of our next-generation of products and service. The Visual Design Lead will collaborate with UX and Product Management team leads to prioritize work, refine delivery, and evolve the practice to best serve our stakeholders and sponsors. To that end, the responsibilities of the Visual Design lead are as follows.
· Help establish a visual design practice within the New Product Development group
· Jointly manage and hone our methodology for delivery, appropriately calibrating supply and demand for our services
· Own the creation and evolution of a shared visual design language for the products we work on while maintaining awareness of the larger ecosystem of product and design standards. Be willing to step in and provide hands-on support when needed.
· Actively collaborate across teams to keep everyone in sync with our agreed upon design standards
· Lead efforts to recruit and retain top visual design talent
· Provide oversight of initiatives to ensure the team has a clear understanding of each projects’ business objectives
· Take active role in managing quality delivery, stakeholder and user satisfaction, and a positive and productive team spirit
· Nurture an environment of collaboration and partnership
· Help establish a culture of design within the group and among our stakeholders
Ideal candidates should have the following qualifications and experiences.
· Can skillfully represent the visual design discipline and proposed solutions when presenting to stakeholders, teammates, and critics
· Has natural empathy for user, an ability to glean meaning insights from the larger business context, and a talent for synthesizing both into compelling and elegant designs
· Must be well versed in all stages of the design and development process including concepting, design, standardization, specification, and enforcement
· Enjoys working collaboratively, taking and giving feedback in order to provide the best and most appropriate solutions
· Comfortable learning and operating within complex business domains of the company, learning what’s necessary to craft good experiences
· Is detail oriented and always concerned about the end products
· Has a respect for usability yet knows when and why to push the envelope
· Enjoys balancing the ‘craft’ of design with the design theory and best practices
Candidates must have the following qualifications
· 5+ years of leading visual design teams with a proven track record for providing art direction that influences the design language created for an interaction-complex UX
· Has managed visual designers’ careers with an approach for motivating and inspiring teams
· Can guide or deliver pixel-perfect specifications for desktop, web, or mobile technologies
· Has a strong portfolio of work emphasizing depth of experience within Information Design, Data Visualization, and Visual Design for interactivity.
· Bachelor's Degree in design with emphasis in one or more of the following: Digital Design, Communication Design, Information Design, Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Motion Design
Please note that J.P. Morgan will not accept unsolicited approaches or speculative CVs, nor will J.P. Morgan be responsible for any related fees, from Third Party Firms who are not preferred suppliers.
The firm invites all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities.
If you are a US or Canadian applicant with a disability who is unable to use our online tools to search and apply for jobs, please contact us by calling (US and Canada Only) 1-866-777-4690. Please indicate the specifics of the assistance needed.