JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity. The Legal Department of JPMorgan Chase & Co is responsible for providing legal services to the Corporation and is organized by Practice Groups that generally conform to the Corporation's lines of business (“LOBs”) and corporate staff areas. This structure facilitates the communication of legal and regulatory changes by the legal team to the businesses and the communication by the LOBs of business developments to the legal teams in a timely manner.
Position available for an experienced attorney in the JPMorgan Asset Management Quantitative Beta Strategies (QBS) legal group to support initiatives related to the development and licensing of a wide range of investible financial indices, the launch of exchange-traded funds, UCITS funds and collective investment trusts and various other related projects. It is an opportunity to work with an exciting, demanding and growing business.
The individual will be responsible for providing day-to-day legal coverage for QBS. This will include both the creation of new funds and the maintenance of existing funds. The individual should have experience with registered investment funds and in-depth knowledge of investment management legal issues, including pertinent regulations and guidance on investment advisory issues. The individual should have excellent interpersonal skills in order to participate in business committees and work with personnel from all areas of the business including product strategy and development, treasury, marketing, risk, compliance and portfolio management. Strong writing and organizational skills are also critical.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide legal support in connection with developing, licensing and governing proprietary investment indices, including managing contracts and relationships with index providers and calculation agents.
- Legal support and advice to be provided across registered funds, separate account mandates, UCITS funds, insurance products and other commingled fund products that passively track investment indices or are otherwise managed according to rules-based algorithms.
- Advise the business on a wide range of legal issues relevant to the formation, maintenance and distribution of fund products and related legal and regulatory matters.
- Support the structuring and documentation of derivatives transactions based on QBS products.
- Work closely with other members of the Legal Department and other control functions (e.g., Compliance, Risk) both within the U.S. and globally to identify and resolve issues.
- Coordinate as needed with other divisions of Asset & Wealth Management.
- Provide legal support for special projects.
- All other duties as necessary or assigned to provide high caliber line of business legal support.
- JD Degree
- Minimum 5 years of practicing law post-JD in a law firm. Knowledge of investment management legal issues, including pertinent regulations and guidance on investment advisory issues, required.
- Expertise in Investment Advisers Act and Investment Company Act required.
- Broad-based M&A experience and/or private funds experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with IP licensing and/or OTC swaps preferred.
- Excellent document drafting skills required.
- Excellent judgment.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to be a proactive, dynamic member of a team.
Licensing and Conflicts
- All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete a conflicts clearance review prior to commencement of employment.
- Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment.