J.P. Morgan Asset & Wealth Management, with client assets of $2.4 trillion, is a global leader in investment and wealth management. Its clients include institutions, high-net-worth individuals and retail investors in every major market throughout the world. The division offers investment management across all major asset classes including equities, fixed income, alternatives, multi-asset and money market funds. For individual investors, the business also provides retirement products and services, brokerage and banking services including trusts and estates, loans, mortgages and deposits.
Key risk management representative for J.P. Morgan Alternative Asset Management (JPMAAM), which manages approximately $12Bn in multi-manager hedge fund portfolios, with offices in New York, London, Geneva and Singapore. JPMAAM has been successfully managing multi-manager hedge fund products since 1995 and has a deep culture of risk management. JPMAAM's risk group performs independent due diligence on all hedge funds with whom JPMAAM invests, working closely with the investment and operational due-diligence teams.
We are seeking a professional to strengthen our risk management team. The candidates’ primary focus within our group will partly be a function of the candidates’ key strengths and background but a significant portion of time will be spent evaluating the risk management of our managers and developing risk solutions. The candidate is expected to work collaboratively with the investment and operational due-diligence teams at JPMAAM, while at the same time developing independent views on underlying managers regarding risk management issues. In addition to assessing manager risk, the analyst will contribute to the risk management of JPMAAM's existing suite of commingled and separate accounts, develop new risk management tools, and analyze the investment performance and ongoing quantitative risk profile of managers. The candidate is expected to lead a wide variety of projects aimed at ensuring our risk management practices, knowledge, systems and infrastructure remain cutting edge and are communicated to our clients as such.
Potential candidates should possess each of the following:
- 10+ years of experience in the financial industry in an investment capacity
- Experience at a hedge fund allocator, as a risk analyst at a fund of funds or a sophisticated multi-strategy hedge fund
- A strong risk intellect and a deep understanding of risk issues across asset classes and hedge fund strategies
- Confidence and poise to interview hedge fund managers and maintain strong ongoing relationships inside and outside the firm
- Command of Quantitative and Relative Value strategies
- Experience as an investor, ideally in non-equity investment strategies
- Expertise and applied experience with a broad set of risk management and statistical concepts is necessary, but not sufficient for success
- Excel skills are a must, Python or R experience is a plus
- Working knowledge of RiskMetrics and Barra also a plus
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- A holistic approach to risk management which appropriately weighs both practical and theoretical risk management issues and considers the context of the evaluation framework
- MBA / CFA preferred and a CRM designation is a plus
The candidate will be based in New York and will report into the Head of Risk Management and Quantitative Analysis.