JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity. The client base of Commercial Banking, one of the JPMorgan Chase & Co. businesses, includes corporations, state governments and municipalities, financial institutions and not-for-profit organizations with annual revenue generally ranging from $20 million to $2 billion. Commercial Banking offers a comprehensive set of financial products and services including credit, equipment finance, real estate finance, and treasury services.
The Legal Department of JPMorgan Chase & Co is responsible for the provision of legal services to the Corporation and is organized by practice groups that generally align with the Corporation’s lines of business and corporate staff areas. This structure encourages legal teams and businesses and staff areas to discuss legal, regulatory and business developments effectively and in a timely manner.
The Commercial Banking legal team is seeking a Product Attorney to provide legal support to Product Solutions, Treasury Services Sales and Operations. These business units develop and approve products, market them to wholesale customers, handle onboarding and due diligence, and provide customer service. Products include demand deposit and other accounts and services, credit card programs, merchant processing of credit card payments, and retail branch support and services. The position will be based in Chicago. The environment is fast-paced, often requiring that issues be addressed quickly. The successful candidate must be comfortable with a fluid environment, have strong organizational, analytical and collaborative skills, be able to work independently and be a true ‘self-starter.’
The desired candidate must be a licensed attorney in good standing in Illinois, or have the ability to obtain in-house bar membership in Illinois. The ideal candidate will possess experience or attributes including:
- at least 5 years post-JD practicing experience with a law firm or in-house legal department at a financial institution, governmental body, consulting firm or other large corporation with demonstrated experience on increasingly complex matters
- drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts
- understanding of core commercial banking products and services including treasury services contracts, credit card processing, funds transfer, credit card services and secured lending is preferred
- being a strong contributing team member on multiple long term projects
- excellent inter-personal and organizational skills
- proven oral and written communication skills, with demonstrated ability to listen and thrive in a team setting demanding strong individual contributions
- effective and efficient problem solver; strong multi-tasking skills
- ability to deliver high-quality results under tight and changing deadlines
JD or educational equivalent required. Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment.
All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment.