The Bankruptcy Operations team is the business unit responsible for the handling of accounts and legal cases in which customers have filed for Bankruptcy Protection under the United States Bankruptcy Code for the Auto Finance and Student Lending business. The Bankruptcy Operations team is a core function of the Sworn Document and Litigation Operations group which is responsible for the “cradle-to-grave” management of customer litigation cases including servicing and support functions including but not limited to making decisions to litigate, interfacing with external law firm vendors and change management.
Key position responsibilities include:
Role includes responsibility for the management, coordination and execution of bankruptcy operations, as well as assisting in the recommendation and implementation of operations policies and procedures. Responsibilities also include oversight of processes for Proof of Claim filings, Reaffirmation Agreements or other loss mitigation tools and strategies. Incumbents have responsibility for the management and oversight of all Bankruptcy floor operations including training; coaching and performance management as well as ensuring teams are adequately staffed. The Operations Manager is the advanced level management position with total staff managed typically between 2 – 3 teams of 10 – 15 Specialists.
Successful candidates must be able to:
Demonstrate an advanced degree of professional knowledge of the Bankruptcy field; and is a senior professional with the ability to handle the most complex bankruptcy cases. Ensures the assigned team is achieving productivity goals and that all personnel are appropriately trained. Must be able to make contributions to the process to maximize operational efficiency. Incumbents have moderate latitude in decision-making for their site’s operations and must be accountable for the daily execution of Bankruptcy operations. Must be able to communicate (written and oral) and interact effectively with management as well as handle Customer and/or Client interactions including coordination of litigation processes with a network of law firm third party providers and Bankruptcy Trustees. Ability to develop and lead a cohesive team, aligned to business priorities and objectives, with strong emphasis on core values and leadership fundamentals. Strong people skills and demonstrated ability to constantly drive, motivate, and develop employees to improve performance.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience or advanced degree is preferred.
- 7 or more years of bankruptcy / collections /recovery industry experience and 3 or more years of coaching and/or performance management experience is required.
- Complete knowledge of relevant bankruptcy regulations is required.
- 3 or more years of prior Auto Finance/Student Lending experience is preferred.
- Excellent communication and listening skills required.
- Legal or business writing experience is required.
Collections Litigation Qualifications
• Prior Collections experience preferred.
• Knowledge of legal processes related to litigation.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
• Ability to collaborate with and influence various stakeholders.
• Prior experience managing teams is preferred.
• Ability to coach and provide meaningful feedback to employees.
• Demonstrated ability to foster an open working environment.
• Analytical and problem solving skills.
• Ability to identify trends and improve processes for both the customer and the business.
• Understanding of regulatory/legal landscape related to collections litigation.
• Ability to work with audit, compliance and regulatory constituencies to manage work in accordance with established procedures and relevant regulations and laws.
• Demonstrated accountability for work processes and the associated risks and controls.
• Demonstrated ability to raise issues to relevant stakeholders or management with respect to the control environment
JPMorgan Chase is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer M/F/Disability/Veteran.