The qualified candidate will underwrite and apply necessary conditions to ensure the borrower meets program specifications. As an Underwriter II, you will have working knowledge of residential mortgage underwriting guidelines and be responsible for the analysis of submitted files for repayment capacity, capital/assets, character, collateral and property condition, while adhering to Chase credit policies and investor/agency guidelines. Underwriters support and uphold fair lending practices of JPMorgan Chase, and are responsible for productivity targets ensuring the highest quality and level of customer satisfaction.
The underwriter will review and analyze complex customer financial documentation and propose solutions to assist customers in obtaining and/or retaining homeownership. The staff members may interact with other internal and external parties such as Customer Assistant Specialists, Loan Processors, Quality Assurance, Closers and investors or government agencies as needed.
• Credit and/or collateral Underwriting
• Residential Mortgage Underwriting
• Capacity to analyze complex borrower documentation, determine income and repayment ability, assess borrower hardship as applicable for borrower assistance files, housing expenses, potential fraud and determine proper loan resolution.
• Knowledge of specialized systems, tools, spreadsheet calculators, process and contractual requirements.
• Strong commitment to customer service
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Applies knowledge of mortgage servicing process and/or Chase credit underwriting guidelines.
• Adheres to all Chase Fair Lending practices
• Reviews all loan underwriting and modifications documentation to ensure compliance with investor requirements (e.g. loan documents, appraisals, etc)
• Analyzes complex financial information including calculation of income and debt ratios, verification of assets, collateral review and credit review.
• Analyzes difficult and challenging problems and identifies potential or innovative solutions, identifies documentation deficiencies within review and communicates findings with clarity
• Keep up to date on all credit policy changes that impact underwriting
• Displays customer service excellence
• Applies relevant technical and computer expertise
• Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as excellent teamwork with internal employees and external customers/business partners.
• Achieves and exceeds work goals for productivity, quality and turnaround time
• Prioritizes workflows
• Demonstrates a determination to get the job done right the first time while ensuring loan decisions meet all program and product specifications
Knowledge and Experience
• About 3 years experience as a residential mortgage underwriter preferred
• Thorough knowledge of complex personal and business financial analysis and an expertise in tax return, balance sheet analysis including cash flow and self employment income analysis.
• Demonstrated expertise of Conventional or Government or Jumbo lending guidelines.
• Thorough knowledge of Mortgage Insurance policies
• Excellent analytical and decision making skills
• High school diploma or equivalent required
• College degree in business and/or equivalent work experience preferred
• Government designations preferred (VA Credit, VA LAPP, FHA DE)
• Knowledge of Federal and State regulatory requirements
Please note that J.P. Morgan will not accept unsolicited approaches or speculative CVs, nor will J.P. Morgan be responsible for any related fees, from Third Party Firms who are not preferred suppliers.
The firm invites all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities.
If you are a US or Canadian applicant with a disability who is unable to use our online tools to search and apply for jobs, please contact us by calling (US and Canada Only) 1-866-777-4690. Please indicate the specifics of the assistance needed.