Job Description: Underwriter - Analyst
The Underwriter position is with Direct Affordable Housing (DAH) Originations, which is within JPMorgan’s Tax Oriented Investments (TOI) group. The Underwriter takes a lead role in underwriting JPMCC’s investments in federal low income housing tax credit (LIHTC) apartment communities throughout the United States. As a member of an Originations Team acquiring LIHTC investments, the Underwriter assists the Transaction Manager in all aspects of scoping, underwriting and closing transactions, as well as managing the team’s assigned syndicator relationships.
• Performing preliminary feasibility analysis of prospective investment opportunities received from syndicators;
• Preparing internal preliminary approval presentations and updating data base;
• Preparing site visit packages for Transaction Manager and, when appropriate, participating in interviews of developers and other development team members;
• Analyzing the adequacy of third-party market studies and other data (e.g., appraisals, reports, etc.) for prospective markets;
• Leading independent research and analysis of demographic / socio-economic conditions of the prospective market;
• Analyzing proposed pro forma rents, operating budgets and, as applicable, federal and other subsidy programs (e.g., Section 8, Public Housing, etc.);
• Assisting Transaction Manager and outside legal counsel with review of operating partnership agreements;
• Reviewing other project documents (e.g., loan documents, regulatory agreements, etc.) for conformance to acquisition guidelines and consistency with transaction modeling;
• Assisting Transaction Manager with review of the pricing model prepared by the Pricing Analyst;
• Assisting Transaction Manager with due diligence document control, including checklist management with syndicators, developers and outside legal counsel;
• Assisting Development Risk Manager, Pricing and Asset Management Groups as needed;
• Preparing Investment Summary for review by Transaction Manager and approval by Investment Committee;
• Participating in presentation of proposed investment to Investment Committee;
• Assisting with final closing as well as post-transaction closing administrative tasks and hand-off of transaction to Pre-Stabilized group; and
• Participating in meetings with syndicators and fostering a professional relationship among syndicator partners and industry colleagues.
Recent graduate of an undergraduate program in business, finance, real estate, urban planning or other related field.
• Experience in real estate or related area preferred. Experience with multi-family (especially LIHTC) properties a plus.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Superior communication (written and verbal presentation) and quantitative skills.
• Advanced PC skills with experience working with spreadsheets and databases.
• Detail-oriented and accurate, with a strong desire to learn and excel.
• Ability to work independently and interact with different levels of management.
• Ability to prioritize workload and competing demands for time and attention.
• Some travel may be required.
Please note that J.P. Morgan will not accept unsolicited approaches or speculative CVs, nor will J.P. Morgan be responsible for any related fees, from Third Party Firms who are not preferred suppliers.
The firm invites all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities.
If you are a US or Canadian applicant with a disability who is unable to use our online tools to search and apply for jobs, please contact us by calling (US and Canada Only) 1-866-777-4690. Please indicate the specifics of the assistance needed.