JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers and small business, commercial banking, financial transaction processing, and asset management. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase & Co. serves millions of consumers in the United States and many of the world’s most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under its J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Information about JPMorgan Chase & Co. is available at www.jpmorganchase.com
The Internal Audit Department provides the Board of Directors, senior management and regulators with an independent assessment of JPMorgan Chase's (‘JPMC’) control environment. Audit works closely with the Lines of Business (‘LOBs’) and their support functions to achieve its mission through the execution of a comprehensive audit program designed to test the effectiveness of the controls in place to mitigate the risks inherent in each business. The department is respected throughout the firm for the calibre of the staff and their ability to add value beyond the audit opinion. Globally, Internal Audit has in excess of 1,000 auditors.
This position is within the Americas Corporate & Investment Bank (‘CIB’) Audit team providing audit coverage of the cross product Sales & Marketing and Research businesses. The successful candidate will be based in New York and will be part of the team which executes the regional audit plan for the primarily Sales & Research; Market Investor Services & Debt Capital Markets. The individual will also have exposure to other product areas within the CIB business.
As a CIB Auditor covering the Sales & Marketing and Research businesses, you will be responsible for risk assessment, control identification, development of audit testing, and completion of audit work across North America. The individual must be an experienced professional who possesses good project management skills, strong relationship management capabilities and is knowledgeable of the operational and control risks which exist in Investment Banking businesses in general.
The role responsibilities include:
- Plan, execute and document audits with limited supervision in a risk focused manner and to a high standard in accordance with department and professional standards
- Evaluate, test and report on the adequacy and effectiveness of the control environment
- Analyze risks and proactively identify the root-cause of issues with a view to providing recommendations for improvement where weaknesses are identified
- Finalize audit findings and use judgment to provide an overall opinion on the control environment
- Communicate audit results and issues in a clear and concise manner, both verbally and in writing
- Implement and execute an effective program of continuous monitoring for assigned areas. This includes monitoring of key metrics to identify control issues and adverse trends in the control environment and keeping abreast of key initiatives and pertinent industry and regulatory developments
- Build and maintain key relationships with stakeholders and colleagues, establishing a culture of engagement while adding value, effective teamwork and innovative thinking
- Disseminate best practice and regulatory requirements. Critically assess the impact of evolving industry and regulatory changes on the business and its control environment
- Travel to overseas business locations as required. While the amount of travel will vary depending upon business need, approximately 10-15% should be anticipated.
- Business and Industry Knowledge – Demonstrable knowledge, and experience of auditing Markets and Investor Services businesses and/or Research (preferable but not essential)
- Methodology & Analytical Skills – Understanding of internal control and risk assessment concepts applicable to the Markets and Investor Services, and Research businesses and strong analytical skills to assess the impact of control weaknesses
- Partnership - Strong execution skills, ability to work independently with limited supervision and multi-task. Works well individually and in teams, shares information, and supports colleagues. Ability to create strong stakeholder relationships that promote transparency and open dialogue around control issues
- Communication - Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to present complex and sensitive issues to management in a persuasive manner
- Leadership - Ability to assess priorities, adapt to a changing environment, organize and lead resources, monitor progress and timely deliver a high quality end product. Enthusiastic, self motivated, effective under pressure
- Accountability – proven ability to take the initiative in developing the scope and execution of audits/ projects. Seeks ways to increase efficiency and effectiveness of work performed and resources utilized. Willing to take personal responsibility/accountability
- Minimum bachelors degree in Accounting or Finance, Master's degree or CPA preferred
- Minimum 8 years experience in public accounting or financial services firm
- Plan, execute and document audit reports for audits conducted within the IS business, including risk assessments, audit planning, audit testing, control evaluation, report drafting and follow-up and verification of issue closure.
- Work closely with audit colleagues located across the globe in the early identification of emerging control issues and reporting them timely to Audit management and business stakeholders.
- Develop recommendations to strengthen internal controls and improve operational efficiency.
- Partner with business management, other control groups (i.e. risk management, compliance, fraud prevention), external auditors, and regulators establishing strong working relationships while maintaining independence.
- Proven ability to build strong partnerships with key stakeholders, desire to learn quickly, be flexible and think strategically
- Proven ability to be able to multi task as well as asses and change priorities
- Works well individually, and in teams, shares information, supports colleagues and encourages participation
- Enthusiastic, self motivated, effective under pressure and willing to take personal risk and accountability
- Strong analytical skills particularly in regard to assessing the probability and impact of an internal control weakness
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present complex and sensitive issues to senior management in a persuasive manner
** Any candidate not meeting ALL the qualifications can be considered for an AVP, Senior Auditor role.