The Consumer & Community Banking (CCB) Control Team’s primary function is to implement an effective control framework across the CCB organization, looking within and across the lines of business, to identify and remediate control issues with a sense of urgency regardless of the source. The Team partners with all other control disciplines, adding an additional line of defense supporting Compliance, Risk and Audit, among others. The Team works in partnership on the development of new, and oversight of existing, control functions and protocols throughout the Firm and provides a centralized view of and from all control functions, assisting in immediate, real time problem detection and escalation.
The Control Officer Manager position is designed to support a specific business unit in its management of controls. In an environment where the business unit owns the risk, this role will act as a key influencer to the business. This role will ensure the implementation and maintenance of Chase's RCSA Framework. The Control Officer will function as part of a team to: develop, implement, and maintain framework policies, standards and technology; provide oversight on compliance with Chase RCSA policy; and provide SME collaboration with the business unit and/or corporate functions to implement and maintain required control management practices. This person will be responsible for assessment of risks to the control environment, partnering with the business to design effective controls and reviewing routine controls testing. Other responsibilities include long range planning, interfacing with the various control functions.
The candidate should possess strong project management skills, analytics and excel in communications (both written and verbal). This position will interact with all levels of management within the CCB Operations Organization.
Key Responsibilities of the Role:
· Partner effectively with business and functional colleagues to guide consistent and rigorous JPM operational risk management practices, including: risk committees, risk & control self assessments (RCSAs), risk acceptances, privacy reviews, risk event analysis, operational risk / loss management reporting, and related action plans.
· Review processes and procedures for efficiency and effectiveness and assist in implementing new procedures when required (ability to evaluate the general risks faced and the impact of those risks on the enterprise as a whole).
· Advise business of risks and is a proactive, independent advisor to the assigned business, identifying business risk issues and recommending solutions.
· Ability to influence and manage without direct control hierarchy.
· Facilitate end to end reviews and deep dives with assigned business units.
· Partner with leadership in driving open discussion of issues and control gaps.
· Execute the ORM framework in support of CCB Operations.
· Sustain best practice framework for defining, reviewing, and maintaining policies, procedures, and process documentation.
· Maintain strong and collaborative working relationship with Audit, Compliance, and IT Risk Management.
· Generate and/or publish recurring risk reporting (i.e. scorecards, action plan updates).
· Ensure bank regulatory requirements are communicated and met by partnering with compliance.
· Assist Business with Continuity Plan / Disaster Recovery strategy, process, and testing of plans.
· Coordinate internal and external audit examination activities for impacted business units.
· Support business units with root cause analysis of key control events.
· Provide technical expertise in ORM Framework development and implementation, including policy, RCSA, KRI, loss event database, and risk reporting
· Drive behavioral change to resolve process and infrastructure weaknesses
· Provide subject matter expertise/training to other risk disciplines, business units, and corporate functions to support compliance with framework components
· Maintain alignment between ORM processes and practices with supporting technology
· Support & facilitate training sessions for assigned business units on the use of supporting technology (ex: Phoenix tool, RMM, etc.)
· Collaborate with assigned business units to identify key risk indicators (KRIs) that enable risk profile monitoring and trend analysis against management's risk appetite and tolerance levels
· Provide oversight to ensure operational loss events at assigned business unit and/or corporate functions are captured and properly quantified, categorized and recorded in the operational loss database
· Support assigned business units to ensure compliance with enterprise operational risk reporting requirements and establishment of local reporting practices
· Provide support and oversight in establishing remediation plans to resolve gaps in operational risk management practices at assigned business unit and/or corporate functions
· Point of interface between the Control Team, Risk Management and the CCB Operations Senior Leadership team as well as the liaison between the CCB Operations organization and other internal review parties (i.e. Audit, Compliance, etc.).
· Drive the Risk & Control Self Assessment (RCSA) process.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in accounting, finance, business or related field
· MBA preferred but not required
· 7+ years in the financial services industry; including background in operational risk management, audit, compliance, controls, or operations
· Good understanding of Operations functions and processes.
Previous experience with Digital interactions
· Relevant risk management experience and awareness either gathered through a risk or audit role, although would consider other relevant experience
· Working knowledge of operational risk frameworks (e.g. RCSA practices, loss event databases, KRIs)
· Demonstrated experience in risk and control self-assessments, including process documentation, and data analysis skills
· Working experience in developing, tracking, analyzing and reporting on key risk indicators
· Self-motivated & confident decision-maker with the ability to demonstrate leadership, challenging and influencing change where necessary
· Strong interpersonal and analytic skills, particularly influencing and negotiation
· Collaborative team player able to develop meaningful and effective working relationships with fellow colleagues
· Effective communicator with excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Strong analytical and documentation skills, as well as orientation to details
· Ability to manage multiple assignments and meet tight deadlines within a team environment
· Results oriented/self-motivator
· Strong people & relationship building skills
· Excellent organizational skills
· Sound business judgment and objectivity
· Flexible and creative thinker