With client assets under supervision of $2.4 trillion and assets under management of $1.7 trillion, J.P.Morgan Asset Management (AM) is one of the largest asset and wealth managers in the world. AM serves four distinct client groups globally through two businesses: institutional and retail clients through Global Investment Management (GIM), and high net worth and ultra-high net worth clients through Global Wealth Management (GWM), which includes the Private Bank and J.P.Morgan Securities. AM offers global investment management in equities, fixed income, real estate, hedge funds, private equity, liquidity, and multi-asset solutions. GWM provides trust and estate, custody, banking, lending, mortgage, investment management, and brokerage services to sophisticated clients.
The GWM Strategy & Business Development team partners with senior management as a trusted advisor to solve their most critical strategic and operational issues. Typical engagements involve identifying and developing growth strategies, leading productivity and efficiency initiatives, managing or facilitating inter-LOB or intra-LOB projects, driving development of materials for Investor Day and annual Operating Committee off-sites, and performing competitive and market sizing analyses.
Functions and Responsibilities
VPs / EDs on the GWM Strategy & Business Development Team act as project managers, leading strategic planning, business analysis, and other internal consulting projects.
VPs / EDs coach, mentor, and supervise analysts and associates conducting supporting analysis and research, and can expect to work extensively with other colleagues across Global Wealth Management, including front office, product, finance, and operations. They are expected to craft and present recommendations to senior leadership and have many opportunities for senior management interaction, influence and internal advancement.
Typical engagements may include:
- Market - identifying factors driving growth or change in industry structure
- Competitor - profiling competitors’ offerings and strategies; researching key industry trends
- Customer - identifying segments, buying behaviors, and customer value propositions
- Financial - modeling business decisions, determining cost structures and drivers
- Organizational – devising optimal coverage models and product solutions in serving client segments
- Mergers and Acquisitions – analyzing strategic rationale and drivers of value in potential transactions
- Ability to lead teams, multi-task, and organize work flows to meet deadlines across multiple projects
- Strong research and analytical skills, with ability to synthesize and interpret data well
- Broad conceptual thinking and workplanning skills
- Excellent teamwork, interpersonal and influencing skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including experience presenting findings to senior management
- Strong business judgment to surface implications and practical, high impact options
- Advanced MS Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Experience in wealth management or financial services preferred, but not required
- A history of managing a varied team of professionals in a project based environment and a proven ability to coach and develop the team, including the ability to assess the skill set of individual team members, and provide feedback, coaching and development
- Several years of relevant post-graduate work experience, ideally in top-tier management consulting or an internal consulting team
- Graduate degree from top-tier program (MBA preferred, but not required)