The JPMorgan Chase Middle Market Banking and Special Industries (MMBSI) group is part of JP Morgan Chase's Commercial Bank and is focused on expanding its significant business to the Healthcare segment. Chase's Middle Market Banking footprint covers over 23,000 + clients with over 600 bankers in 26 states across the United States.
JPMorgan Chase MMBSI has an opportunity available in our Boston office for an Underwriter. This position would support 9 For Profit Healthcare Bankers across the United States and is part of a team of 5 local Underwriters in Boston. The position will report directly to the Credit Risk Director.
As an Underwriter, your primary role is to take ownership of your portfolio and to utilize excellent credit skills to work independently on the portfolio of Healthcare customer relationships assigned to you. You will appropriately assess the risk in your portfolio, diligently managing the portfolio (i.e. renewals, modifications, managing the credit metrics), and meeting customer deadlines. You will be a partner to the Bankers in the Market, striving to balance sales and credit quality goals. You will be looked to as an expert on structuring and Credit Policy and will be the "go to" person for the Bankers. You will be looked upon as a leader both within and outside of Underwriting; you will provide depth to the local credit leadership team and serve as a mentor to less experienced underwriters and analysts.
Responsibilities and qualifications include but are not limited to:
* Taking ownership of your portfolio, acting with a sense of urgency, doing whatever it takes to effectively get the job done.
* Structuring transactions by being open minded and creative and thinking from the standpoint of "how can we do this deal" while balancing the risk/reward rather than concluding immediately that the deal cannot be done. Additionally, you will provide ideas/suggestions on how to market our structure to the customer.
* Utilizing excellent credit skills to author well thought out and concise analysis of Healthcare relationships using appropriate structure and identifying key risks.
* Work in partnership with the Bankers to develop fulsome Client relationships including being looked to as the "go to" person when the banker is out.
* Working proactively, in a constructive, diplomatic manner, with both internal and external contacts to keep transactions moving.
* Providing leadership in the market by being a positive contributor to the team including being a mentor to less experienced team members and embracing change.
* Demonstrating excellent communication skills both internally and externally and using those communication skills to effectively solve problems.
* The ability and courage to voice your opinion in a clear, concise manner and to defend that position with Senior Management.
* BA/ BBA/ MBA and completion of a major corporate bank credit training program and typically 3 - 5 years in banking/ lending experience which might include credit, deal structuring and marketing.
* Possesses significant accounting and finance knowledge, and commercial banking experience including cash flow lending experience.
* Successful completion of a commercial bank credit training program.
* Strong understanding of the Healthcare Industry sector is preferred.
* Demonstrated superior verbal and written skills, interpersonal skills, and analytical and problem solving skills.
* Ability to travel up to 5-10 trips a year.
Please note that J.P. Morgan will not accept unsolicited approaches or speculative CVs, nor will J.P. Morgan be responsible for any related fees, from Third Party Firms who are not preferred suppliers.
The firm invites all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities.
If you are a US or Canadian applicant with a disability who is unable to use our online tools to search and apply for jobs, please contact us by calling (US and Canada Only) 1-866-777-4690. Please indicate the specifics of the assistance needed.