Job Title CEM Trade Support Analyst
Division CIB Operations - Johannesburg Branch Operations
Report to Callum Lister
CIB CAO EMEA Branch Operations was formed in 2013 to streamline our processes and develop our people across 16 countries, while continuing to offer the best service to our clients. We support more than 50 products, conforming to local regulatory requirements and adapting to industry changes with minimum risk.
J.P. Morgan’s Corporate & Investment Bank (CIB) is a global leader across banking, markets and investor services. The world’s most important corporations, governments and institutions entrust us with their business in more than 100 countries. With $18 trillion of assets under custody and $393 billion in deposits, the Corporate & Investment Bank provides strategic advice, raises capital, manages risk and extends liquidity in markets around the world.
The Johannesburg CIB Operations team provides support to Currency and Emerging Markets (CEM); Corporate Treasury; Cash Equities and Delta 1 businesses as well as meeting the support of traditional Trade Finance products and ensuring that that the Bank meets all of it’s ZAR clearing obligations within the SA market
This position is within the Johannesburg CIB Operations team supporting the CEM Front Office and Sales & Marketing teams. Products supported include Fixed Income; FX; Interest Rate Derivatives; Equity Derivatives and Money Market products.
The successful applicant will be a highly motivated, self-driven individual who is capable of multi-tasking, analytically reviewing data and process to identify improvements, has good time management, and communication skills. The position requires significant interaction with the traders; middle office; product control and settlement teams. A strong track record and financial industry operations experience is essential.
- Ensure all broker repo Vcon’s are reconciled and accurately captured in TOMS and the proprietary risk management system
- Daily monitoring of local bonds positions, advising trading of any short ON, TN or spot positions
- Ensure that all internal book flattening trades are captured across the relevant trading books
- Liaise with brokers, clients and custodians to resolve queries and ensure accurate settlement of repo and spot trades
- Monitor STP derivative bookings and ensure that all non STP (complex derivatives) trades are captured in the proprietary risk management systems. Products include, IRS’s, FRA’s, cross currency swaps.
- Ensure that all wash trades for derivative deals risk managed by London are booked accurately and pricing of the correct CSA’s
- Run all EOD handlers to confirm all derivative trades are captured, pricing correctly and feeding downstream to the relevant settlement systems.
- Ownership and resolution of all daily and monthly tasks as well as any extraordinary issues that arise
- Appropriate escalation and reporting of any pertinent issues
- Daily completion of control reconciliations to ensure trade validity and completeness
- Liaising with clients –internal and external – to ensure timely resolution of issues and trade settlements
- Proactive problem identification and query resolution
- Management of Excon requirements of all EDG trades or other ZAR trades with an offshore booking element
- Drafting and approval tracking of Exchange Control Applications
- Ownership of the P&L repatriation on the RRA account
- Involvement with project work arising from new system implementations, new products and general improvement and development of processes
- A thorough understanding of what constitutes a sound operations control environment
- A thorough understanding of the trade lifecycle and market conventions for FI, Interest Rate Derivatives; FX; Equity Swaps; Money Market instruments
- Strong analytical and numerical skills
- Ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships at all levels, with both internal and external clients
- Ability to prioritise and work well under pressure
- Attention to detail and a high level of accuracy
- Good communication skills - both written and verbal
Educational / Qualifications
- BCommerce / relevant financial qualification preferable
- An understanding of and an interest in the South African Financial Markets.
Skills & Experience
- Understanding of the South African fixed income and treasury market
- Five years previous Middle Office experience
- Proficient Excel skills
Key Personality Traits
- Client orientated
- Extroverted personality
- Leadership qualities
- Self motivated
- Team player
- Deadline / control orientated
- Hardworking / Fast learner - strength of character
· BCommerce / relevant financial qualification preferable
· A thorough knowledge of Derivative and FX products.
· A good understanding of the South African Financial Markets, including Exchange Control regulations.
Skills and Experience
· 3 years relevant market experience.
· Proficient Excel skills