The Underwriting Analyst will provide quality oversight by review of live and closed production files, which includes evaluating the overall credit decision (Credit, Income, Assets, Debts and Collateral) and providing timely feedback to the appropriate party on errors, concerns or trends on those loan level reviews. Review volume may include, but is not limited to, live underwriting production for purposes of reviewing new underwriters attempting to obtain lending authority, closed production for purposes of quality oversight for delegated Correspondents, live production for purpose of reviewing underwriters with decision quality concerns (as dictated by management and/or policy) and other ad-hoc audits as requested by Channel or Oversight Management.
Underwriting Analyst performs quality oversight of underwriting decisions made in production through the review of files for accuracy of overall credit decision. The Underwriting Analyst is responsible for delivering feedback, providing clear and concise descriptions of loan defects and articulating identifiable concerns and trends to management.
• Analytical Thinking - Applies logic to solve problems and get the job
• Strong Organizational Skills - ability to manage time appropriately, set
priorities and tasks accordingly
• Problem Solving skills – must possess the ability to discover and
analyze problems then seek to overcome obstanles to solve the issue
• Communication Skills - Strong verbal and written communication skills;
strong ability to listen, present and clearly express key concepts
• Customer Focus – must possess the ability to serve both the internal
and external customer while at the same time safeguarding risk for
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (in order of importance)
• Performs post-close review of files with defects to determine cause and
potential remedy. Reviews may include unsalable loans, FHA Post
Endorsement Technical reviews, FNMA and FHLMC loans with
defects, loan delivery edits, high risk PQA findings, and other ad hoc
audits as requested by management.
• Provides clear and concise descriptions of loan defects and cause,
articulating identifiable trends and concerns to management.
• Engages appropriate internal and external partners, as appropriate, to
• Perform reviews on live production, when dictated by policy and/or
procedure, to support production underwriting. Reviews may include
lending authority submissions, random reviews dictated by policy
based on Underwriting quality, loan exception reviews, CCR condition
reviews, Executive Office complaints, and/or other files as referred by
• Document review findings, provide feedback to internal and external
partners based on the type of file review and drive resolution, as
• Perform second review of declined files, when dictated by procedure,
to ensure accuracy of decision and initiate steps to remedy
• Perform tracking of quality performance and prepare reports as
directed by management or procedure.
• Act a subject matter expert in policies and procedures
Knowledge and Experience
• Minimum 5+ years experience in underwriting preferred
• College Degree preferred but not required
• Excellent negotiation, analytical, and decision making skills.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Through knowledge of Chase credit policies, products, and guidelines;
agency products and guidelines; and private investor products, and
• Expert in personal and business financial analysis and in tax return and
balance sheet analysis, including both cash flow and AGI methods.
• VA and FHA experience preferred.
• Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint preferred
• VA experience and FHA experience with a DE designation may be
Please note that J.P. Morgan will not accept unsolicited approaches or speculative CVs, nor will J.P. Morgan be responsible for any related fees, from Third Party Firms who are not preferred suppliers.
The firm invites all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities.
If you are a US or Canadian applicant with a disability who is unable to use our online tools to search and apply for jobs, please contact us by calling (US and Canada Only) 1-866-777-4690. Please indicate the specifics of the assistance needed.