Sr Counsel- Office of Legal Obligations-AVP
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity.
The JPMorgan Chase Legal Department is responsible for providing legal services to the Corporation and is organized by practice groups that generally align with the Corporation’s lines of business and corporate staff areas. This structure encourages legal teams and businesses and staff areas to discuss legal, regulatory and business developments effectively and in a timely manner.
About the Office of Legal Obligations. The Office of Legal Obligations is responsible for oversight and management of the End-to-End Legal and Regulatory Process Program. The objective of the Legal and Regulatory Process Program is to design and develop a global, firm-wide, risk-based process to evidence compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations (“Legal Obligations”). Reporting will be made possible by linking an enterprise-wide taxonomy of Legal Obligations to controls that evidence compliance, including policies, self-assessments, training, monitoring and others from each Line of Business. Sustainability will depend on a “lifecycle” based on enterprise-wide standards and governance to monitor compliance with current Legal Obligations and to oversee consistent, Firm-wide changes in businesses and products as Legal Obligations develop.
For the program, JPMC requires experienced individuals with regulatory awareness and background, able to understand the risks to the Lines of Business and the Firm of non-compliance with laws and regulations. The ideal candidate will monitor, identify and document all federal, state and local laws affecting the Firm’s products and all changes therein. The role requires significant cross-functional collaboration, including with line of business lawyers, their Compliance counterparts, as well as counterparts in Risk and Oversight and Controls. The environment is fast-paced, often requiring that issues be addressed rapidly - to ensure the firm stays in compliance with the rapidly-evolving federal, state, and other rules that may apply to our highly regulated industry. The successful candidate must have strong analytical and collaborative skills, be able to work independently and be a true "self starter."
Primary Responsibilities will include:
- Monitor, identify and document changes in all applicable federal, state and local laws.
- Routinely research and analyze laws, rules and regulations to quickly assess impacts on the firm’s products, services and businesses.
- Assist at times in participating on cross-functional teams to develop and maintain Legal Obligations.
- Summarize and report on Legal Obligations and changes to existing laws and drafting corresponding memos.
- Occasional research to support special projects as needed.
- Law school graduate with legal experience
- Thorough understanding of the business environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Structured disciplined approach
- Good knowledge of financial markets to establish credibility
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Analytical, flexible and pragmatic