JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity.
The Corporate & Investment Bank (CIB) Legal team comprises approximately 550 employees who provide legal support for all of the CIB businesses around the globe. CIB Legal employees are currently located in 23 countries. The primary function of the CIB Legal practice group is to provide transactional and strategic legal support for the various CIB businesses.
JPMorgan Chase is seeking a mid-level attorney in Hong Kong to provide legal support and advice to the M&A business in Asia-Pacific. This position requires significant cross-functional collaboration, including with other line of business lawyers, compliance, controls, tax, operations, and senior business leaders. The successful candidate must have strong analytical and collaborative skills. Depending on the level of experience of the successful candidate, the job title will be Vice President.
Primary Responsibilities will include the following:
Provide legal analysis and advice on issues relating to the M&A business Draft, review and negotiate legal documentation in relation to M&A mandates and/or the M&A business Coordinate delivery of legal services with Legal and Compliance Departments colleagues in EMEA, Americas and Asia Pacific regions Assist in advising on internal policies, procedures and controls relating to the M&A business Instructing and working with outside counsel Provide training to the legal team as well as business stakeholders Manage outside counsel engaged by the M&A business
- Admission to practice law in Hong Kong, US, England or other common law jurisdictions
- At least 6-8 years post-qualification experience in M&A
- Candidates with good working knowledge of public takeover regimes in Asia will be viewed favourably
- Candidates with relevant in-house experience with comparable banking institutions will be viewed favourably
- Fluent in English and Chinese, both written and oral.
- Ability to read simplified Chinese is essential Ability to “own” projects, take initiative, and ability to find solutions that balance legal and commercial requirements
- Strong drafting, negotiation and legal analytical skills
- Able to communicate well and work in a cross-functional team to achieve common goals
- Ability to build strong relationships with key stakeholders including Investment Banking professionals, risk and control functions as well as external counsel
- Ability to identify and escalate issues timely and appropriately
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize and respond to business needs and goals