J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a global leader in financial services, working in collaboration to deliver the best solutions and advice to meet our clients' needs globally. We operate in 100 countries and hold leadership positions across our businesses. We have an exceptional team of employees who work hard to do the right thing for our clients and the firm.
The Legal Department of JPM is responsible for the provision of legal services to the firm and this includes the Office of the Secretary (“OTS”).
Legal is organized by practice groups that conform to the organization of the firm's lines of business (LOBs) and corporate staff areas, allowing the legal staff to work closely with specific groups on a daily basis. Each LOB has a General Counsel who reports to the Firm's General Counsel. This structure provides the means for the legal teams to communicate legal and regulatory changes to the LOBs and staff areas, and for the LOBs and staff areas to communicate business developments that have legal/regulatory implications to the legal team in a timely manner.
OTS is headed by the Corporate Secretary who reports to the firm's General Counsel, OTS partners with senior management, control groups, LOBs and corporate units to promote effective governance of the firm, its branches, subsidiaries and affiliates. The team also maintains the legal good standing status of entities in the various jurisdictions with responsibility for various regulatory reporting in all locations.
In order to ensure that OTS continues to provide efficient, effective, real time and on demand support to the LOBs and support groups in the Asia Pacific region, OTS is looking for an Executive Director to be based in the Hong Kong Office. The key aspects of the role will be to provide governance advice and company secretarial support to some of JPM’s key regulated entities, and to provide leadership to and manage a team of four company secretaries also based in Hong Kong.
A Qualified Lawyer and/or Chartered Secretary based in Hong Kong, you will report directly to the Head of the Office of the Secretary for Asia Pacific and provide corporate secretarial services and governance support to J.P. Morgan's businesses, subsidiaries and affiliates across Asia Pacific.
Provide corporate secretarial services, corporate governance and regulatory support to JPM's businesses, subsidiaries and affiliates globally, with particular cover for Asia Pacific.
- Providing company secretarial support, advice and guidance to the board of directors of (i) J.P. Morgan Securities (Asia Pacific) Limited, J.P. Morgan Broking (Hong Kong) Limited and J.P. Morgan Securities (Far East) Limited.
- Delivering governance enhancements in relation to J.P. Morgan Securities (Asia Pacific) Limited with a particular focus on (i) keeping abreast of and meeting all relevant regulatory requirements and expectations, (ii) providing support to the new directors and ensuring they are effective contributors, and (iii) overseeing the effectiveness of the sub-committees.
- Pro-active engagement with the board chairs and senior management, in driving board agendas and advising on board composition, succession planning and director inductions and training.
- Communicate effectively with the board of directors, committee members and senior management as appropriate in respect of all relevant governance matters.
- Providing governance input into key projects
- Covering Asia and liaising with global locations, counterparts in other locations relating to corporate governance, rationalization of legal entities and corporate secretarial matters
- University graduate in Law or Corporate Administration or related discipline
- Minimum 10 years or more professional experience, related to or gained in the financial services
- Strong awareness of corporate governance matters impacted by changing regulations.
- Ability to drive policy and procedure on best practice for JPM entities.
- Consistently striving for improvements in process and working practices.
- Self-motivated, as well as a strong team player with a keen sense of ownership and desire for continuous improvement.
- Strong written and verbal skills and an effective communicator with maturity and gravitas ti deal effectively at senior level.
- Able to work proactively under own initiative, prioritise, handle time pressure and manage multiple projects at the same time with flexibility to adapt to shifting expectations.
- Well-organised and confident, with excellent planning skills.
- PC skills - ability to use legal entity management systems and other system packages, proficient and fast at learning and adapting to new technology and software
- Able to demonstrate commitment to a long term career at JPM
- Reading and writing skills in Mandarin is an advantage but not necessary