Legal – Legal Specialist Officer – Office of Legal Obligations – VP – Assistant General Counsel – London (EMEA)
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity.
The JPMorgan Chase Legal Department is responsible for providing legal services to the Corporation and is organized by practice groups that generally align with the Corporation’s lines of business and corporate staff areas. This structure encourages legal teams and businesses and staff areas to discuss legal, regulatory and business developments effectively and in a timely manner.
About the Office of Legal Obligations. The Office of Legal Obligations is responsible for oversight and management of the End-to-End Legal and Regulatory Process Program (“Program”). This Program is one of approximately 25 initiatives that are sponsored at the operating committee level of JPMorgan Chase (“JPMC”). The objective of the Legal and Regulatory Process Program is to design and develop a global, firm-wide, risk-based process to evidence compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations (“Legal Obligations”). Reporting will be made possible by linking an enterprise-wide taxonomy of Legal Obligations to controls that evidence compliance, including policies, self-assessments, training, monitoring and others from each Line of Business. Sustainability will depend on a “lifecycle” based on enterprise-wide standards and governance to monitor compliance with current Legal Obligations and to oversee consistent, Firm-wide changes in businesses and products as Legal Obligations develop.
For the program, JPMC requires experienced lawyers with regulatory awareness and background, able to understand the risks to the Lines of Business and the Firm of non-compliance with laws and regulations. The ideal candidate will lead efforts to help all JPMC businesses in all geographies enter and maintain Legal Obligations that apply to JPMC across the various businesses in the Firmwide Legal Obligation Library. The individual will be responsible for leading cross-enterprise efforts of lawyers to monitor, identify and document all laws affecting the Firm’s products. The role requires significant cross-functional collaboration, including with line of business lawyers, their Compliance counterparts, as well as counterparts in Risk and Oversight and Controls, senior business leaders and with regulators. The environment is fast-paced, often requiring that issues be addressed rapidly - to ensure the firm stays in compliance with the rapidly-evolving rules that may apply to our highly regulated industry. The successful candidate must have strong analytical and collaborative skills, be able to work independently and be a true "self starter."
Primary Responsibilities will include:
- Lead and participate on cross-functional teams to develop and maintain Legal Obligations.
- Lead and collaborate with others on initiatives to monitor changes in law and regulation.
- Develop and implement validation methodologies and other quality assurance tools.
- Build and manage other cross-enterprise product subject matter expertise as required.
- Collaborate with appropriate product areas lawyers to enhance consistency of legal positions.
- Routinely research and analyse statutes, case law and local laws to quickly assess impacts on the firm’s products, services and businesses.
- Summarise and report on Legal Obligations and changes to existing law.
- Work with Compliance counterparts, as well as counterparts in Risk and Oversight and Controls, to identify and implement process changes to ensure compliance with laws.
- Prepare, and maintain on an ongoing basis, matrices and other job aids to allow for on-going reporting.
- Research work to support special projects as needed.
- Database work with a proprietary database created to support the Program.
- Work with excel spreadsheets and other databases and computer systems.
- Independent Legal drafting work and proof-reading work.
Qualifications and Preferred Skills:
- Legal Qualification in at least one EU jurisdiction.
- Significant experience working with legislation and regulation of financial services or other highly regulated industries.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Proven experience working in matrix-reporting work environments.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Strong interpersonal, management and advocacy skills – able to combine analytical, flexible, persuasive and pragmatic attitudes.
- Fluency in continental European languages in addition to English is a plus.
The location for this position is London.
About J.P. Morgan’s Corporate & Investment Bank
J.P. Morgan’s Corporate & Investment Bank is a global leader across banking, markets and investor services. The world’s most important corporations, governments and institutions entrust us with their business in more than 100 countries. With $18 trillion of assets under custody and $393 billion in deposits, the Corporate & Investment Bank provides strategic advice, raises capital, manages risk and extends liquidity in markets around the world. Further information about J.P. Morgan is available at www.jpmorgan.com.
JPMorgan Chase & Co. offers an exceptional benefits program and a highly competitive compensation package. JPMorgan Chase & Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.