Part of a team of lawyers providing support to the securitised derivatives and structured funds businesses within a leading global Investment Bank (“IB”). The role will initially focus on support of a full range of markets products (credit, fx, commodity, rates, equities) within the retail derivative products business. The role will involve more particularly the support to the Retail Derivatives Products (“RDP”) business. Reporting into the Manager of the Securities and Funds team in the Structured Investments Practice, IB Legal Department in EMEA.
Based on the Equities and Credit trading floor in London, the candidate will work in conjunction with the RDP business as part of a wider team supporting retail distribution across the full spectrum of asset classes (equity, credit, fx, commodity, rates, inflation), exotics & hybrids product structuring and Shariah-compliant structured products. The team is widely recognised as one of the premier groups in the market in these practice areas.
The RDP business focuses on the structuring and execution of products that are intended for distribution to retail and high-net worth investors through a number of legal wrappers and forms (including "on balance sheet" subsidiaries and affiliates, special purpose vehicles, non-affiliate issuers’ MTN programmes). Key functions will include identifying and advising on legal and regulatory issues affecting the business in delivering product to end market and assisting in the structuring, execution and documentation of transactions, including the sale of highly customised, complex products to non-institutional investors. The candidate will also be involved in various automation and templating initiatives collaborating with internal and external technology solution providers. High profile and technically challenging role in a business identified as a strategic growth area by the IB.
• Excellent drafting skills, including the ability to draft "plain language" disclosure documents;
• Extensive experience of debt capital markets and derivatives documentation (including familiarity with ISDA derivative definitions (i.e. equity derivative, commodity derivatives, interest rate derivatives, foreign exchange derivatives and credit derivatives);
• Familiarity in negotiating distribution agreements and licence agreements;
• Strong interest in both transactional and policy work;
• Good commercial awareness, with ability to advise the business on cross-jurisdictional matters spanning across multiple asset classes and product wrappers which are offered to a spectrum of end investor types;
• Exceptional organisational and communication skills;
• Confident and proactive, with interest in working closely with the business;
• Team player.
Education (where applicable):
Appropriate legal qualification
An ideal candidate would also have one or more of the following:
• Experience in documenting securities transactions targeted at the retail market throughout EMEA and familiarity with related legal, regulatory and policy issues including the work of the Joint Associations Committee on retail structured products;
• Experience in documenting EMTN and/or repackaging programmes;
• Experience with securitised derivative products (warrants, certificates and notes);
• Familiarity with tax, accounting and legal and regulatory issues associated with subsidiary issuing entities and special purpose vehicles;
• Fluency in an European language in addition to English.
This role would suit a recently qualified or experienced lawyer with strong academics and preferably experience with a top tier investment bank or top tier law firm.
The candidate should be energetic, adaptable and proactive as the position will require strong interaction with the Front Office and the ability to apply the corporate policies in the context of transactions in the retail EMEA markets.
About J.P. Morgan’s Corporate & Investment Bank
J.P. Morgan’s Corporate & Investment Bank is a global leader across banking, markets and investor services. The world’s most important corporations, governments and institutions entrust us with their business in more than 100 countries. With $18 trillion of assets under custody and $393 billion in deposits, the Corporate & Investment Bank provides strategic advice, raises capital, manages risk and extends liquidity in markets around the world. Further information about J.P. Morgan is available at www.jpmorgan.com.
JPMorgan Chase & Co. offers an exceptional benefits program and a highly competitive compensation package. JPMorgan Chase & Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please note that J.P. Morgan will not accept unsolicited approaches or speculative CVs, nor will J.P. Morgan be responsible for any related fees, from Third Party Firms who are not preferred suppliers.
The firm invites all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities.
If you are a US or Canadian applicant with a disability who is unable to use our online tools to search and apply for jobs, please contact us by calling (US and Canada Only) 1-866-777-4690. Please indicate the specifics of the assistance needed.