JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset management, and private equity.
Commerce Solutions, a business unit of Consumer & Community Banking of JPMorgan Chase & Co, is a global leader in payment processing and merchant acquiring, capable of authorizing transactions in over 130 currencies. The company’s proprietary platforms provide access to a wide variety of payment methods, such as credit cards, debit cards, and prepaid stored value cards. With a legacy of innovation and vision in electronic payments, Commerce Solutions promoted the growth of e-commerce worldwide. The company continues to fuel the success of the Internet's largest brands, currently processing more than 50 percent of all Internet transactions.
The Legal Department of JPMorgan is responsible for the provision of legal services to the Corporation.
Legal is organized by Practice Groups that conform to the organization of the Firm’s lines of business (LOBs) and corporate staff areas, allowing the legal staff to work closely with specific groups on a daily basis. Each line of business has an LOB General Counsel, who is the Practice Group Head and who reports to the Firm’s General Counsel. This structure provides the means for the legal teams to communicate legal and regulatory changes to the businesses and staff areas, and for the LOBs and staff areas to communicate business developments that have legal or regulatory implications to the legal teams in a timely manner.
JPMorgan s is currently searching for an Assistant General Counsel to support the business requirements of Commerce Solutions in the Asia Pacific region. The position is based in Hong Kong and will be reporting to the General Counsel of Commerce Solutions in the U.S. and to the JPMorgan General Counsel for Asia Pacific region.
- Providing legal services to Commerce Solutions in the Asia Pacific region, including the negotiation of commercial agreements with merchant clients and third party partners in the region.
- Coordinating with Legal Department members in all lines of business on a variety of legal, regulatory and business matters.
- Working closely with control and compliance officers that support Commerce Solutions.
- Working closely with outside counsel when necessary to provide legal support to Commerce Solutions across the region.
- Counseling and advising the Commerce Solutions business team on legal, strategic and tactical issues relating to their business.
- Developing a thorough understanding of Commerce Solutions’ businesses and client relationships and of the payments business generally.
- Participating in various control, compliance and risk initiatives that affect the Merchant Services business.
- Minimum 5+ years of experience at a law firm and/or in house legal department at a large bank of financial services company
- Experience in the Credit Card, Payment Network or Merchant Services industry is preferred
- Experience with use of data and data privacy preferred
- Ability to work effectively with the various business, risk, control, and compliance stakeholders to deliver operational processes that support the goals of the function
- Experience establishing and meeting goals, tracking and driving optimization opportunities, and presenting progress of the same
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; sound judgment
- Strong decision-making skills combined with time management and project management/planning skills
- Commitment to exemplifying the highest integrity and professional business standards, while exercising the utmost discretion in managing sensitive information
- JD degree or equivalent non-US degree required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills