Cloud Development is the innovation team within GTI tasked to design and build the next generation of JPMC Compute. We are developing a greenfield vision that revisits our entire hardware and software landscape, replacing any and all incumbent technology that no longer meets our needs.
Our scope includes: datacenter & rack design, provisioning and automation, software-defined networking, firewalls and storage, PaaS (e.g. Google App Engine) and the full range of SaaS (including DB, messaging, cache, SCM, CI, etc.).
Our multi-year goal is for JPMC users to have on-demand computing for mission-critical use cases, comparable to services provided by the major internet players. In order to set this target state correctly, extensive requirements-gathering and analysis is required.
As Cloud Services Architect, you will join a small team responsible for defining, planning and finally building these transformative services. Reporting into the PaaS & SaaS lead, your focus will be on PaaS, SaaS and developer-facing functions.
Examples of technologies in your scope: Docker, CloudFoundry, Heroku, Azure, MySQL/Postgres, Oracle/Sybase, AMQP/RabbitMQ/Qpid, MongoDB/Cassandra, Amazon Web Services, Google App/Compute Engine, Jenkins/Bamboo, Github.
This is a VP level role open globally. Given our firmwide scope, you will work with stakeholders in all JPMC locations and lines of business.
- You are passionate and opinionated about internet enablement. You are excited to collaborate and share ideas with other talented individuals.
- You focus on quality and detail.
- You find it easy to distill and express complex ideas.
- You are addicted to technology. You read more tech blogs than anyone else you know. You own at least one server for personal projects.
- You have been building and operating software for at least ten years.
- You can research, synthesize and form strategy across a complex technology set without supervision.
- You are comfortable owning a substantial workstream and running a team.
- You have worked as Lead Developer in one or more of Java, C++/C# and Python. You require the use of Continuous Integration and extensive automated testing.
- You are intimately familiar with multiple alternative HTTP, JEE, RDBMS and NoSQL products.
- You are an experienced architect comfortable designing a multi-tier, horizontally-scaled application for thousands of users.
- You have used either Google App/Compute Engine or Amazon Web Services for a significant project, and have opinions on how they work.
- You’re familiar with provisioning tools like CFEngine, Puppet or Chef and have strong opinions on how to automate things.
- You're a great communicator, comfortable working with both developers and Managing Directors.
- You choose the right answer to a problem based on data. You know when to build and when to buy. You don't believe in 'Not Invented Here'. You are not easily swayed by trends, buzz or 'pet' technology.
- You have owned or assisted running a software service. You have dealt with with design & implementation, customer requirements, support, capacity management, billing and release management.
- You're an advocate of Continuous Delivery and have a track record of automating all post-SCM-commit activity.
- You have multiple years of experience working in a major financial firm, with an awareness of the constraints relevant to the industry.